Berkeley Lab’s 2023 annual performance review process will launch on June 1 for eligible career/term employees and postdoctoral scholars. This process offers employees a chance to reflect on their strengths, contributions, progress, and areas for development over the past year, discuss performance with their supervisors, and identify goals and opportunities for FY24.
On June 1, employees will receive an email with instructions for how to access the PMP Google automation tool and a link to the PMP form. Prioritizing fairness, equity, and compassion throughout the PMP process is integral to Berkeley Lab’s emphasis on good stewardship.
Below are this year’s important deadlines and process details.
|Deadline||Tasks to be Completed|
|6/22/23||Employees complete and submit written self-assessment.|
|7/14/23||Supervisor completes written reviews.|
|7/27/23 – 8/4/2023||Division management review period.|
|8/14/23 – 8/31/23||Employees and supervisors have performance appraisal discussions and confirm FY24 goals.|
|8/31/2023||Final day for employees and supervisors to complete discussion and sign written annual performance review in Dropbox Sign.|
- ALD Paul Adams’ April 5th ‘Preparing for your PMP’ announcement has numerous resources to help with self-assessment and goal-setting for FY24.
- New Employees. With the exception of postdocs, term/sareer employees hired on January 1, 2023, or later will complete a probationary review in lieu of the full annual performance review (PMP/PRD).
- Please see the Lab’s Human Resources website for upcoming training and information and the Tools and Resources site for tip sheets.
- Postdoctoral scholar progress reviews. Postdoctoral Scholar’s reviews will not include a rating scale.
- Automation. As in years past, the Division will use a Google-based platform for accessing and routing the annual performance review form.
- Electronic Signature. The electronic signature function, HelloSign, will be used to enter employee/postdoctoral scholar and supervisor signatures after the written review has been discussed.
- IDEA Section. The “Diversity & Inclusion” section is aligned with the Lab’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability (IDEA) campaign. It asks employees and supervisors to comment on an employee’s contributions to the spirit of IDEA. Please see Sample IDEA Goals and Accomplishments for more information.
- Supervisor’s Performance Summary Section. Supervisors should summarize the employee’s performance over the last year. The objective is to give supervisors an opportunity to internalize the entirety of an employee’s accomplishments before providing their analysis of the performance.
- PMP Learning Module Opportunities. The HR Division will be providing PMP Training. Please review and register for any relevant PMP learning modules.
- VPN. If submitting remotely, connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) before submitting the PMP form.
Below are HR contacts and Division Process Owners for the PMP who can answer any questions.
|Division||HR Contact Information||Division Process Owners|
|Biosciences Area Operations (BSAO)||Alex Degg||Eltra Green|
|Biological Systems & Engineering (BSE)||Alex Degg||Leah Sloan|
|Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology (EGSB)||Sandy Roth||Katrina King|
|Joint Genome Institute (JGI)||Tina Clarke||Wendi Lynch|
|Molecular Biophysics & Integrated Bioimaging (MBIB)||Sandy Roth||Ashley Dawn|