• Structure and function of active metal sites in metalloenzymes.
• X-ray crystallography and X-ray spectroscopy using an X-ray free electron laser.
• Application of X-ray-based techniques to artificial photosynthetic systems such as light-absorbers and catalysts to study electron transfer and catalytic reaction mechanisms in situ.
• Application of synchrotron X-ray absorption/diffraction methods for the analysis of molecular structures, crystal structures, and electronic structures of inorganic catalysts.
• Water oxidation reaction in natural photosynthesis
• Structure and function relationship using vibrational spectroscopy and EPR spectroscopy in organic/organometallic materials.