The Molecular EcoSystems Biology Department will provide fundamental knowledge and tools to understand organismal interactions at the molecular level.
Understanding interactions between natural and engineered organisms will enable us to improve the environment and use resources more efficiently.
– Obtain a molecular and biochemical understanding of organismal interactions in natural, perturbed, cultivated and constructed ecosystems.
– Engineer plants, microbes and microbial communities to improve resilience and sustainability of bioenergy crops, including tolerance to stress, efficient nutrient acquisition, and enhanced carbon sequestration.
– Develop models to predict ecosystem response to perturbations.
– Understand how organismal interactions drive evolution of ecosystems.
– Develop tools and new approaches to study molecular interactions in ecosystems.